Thursday, October 9, 2008

Talk About Bigotry!

As an African American, I thought I understood bigotry. That is, until I started talking to fellow Democrats about. Dr. William (B.J.) Lawson, who I am supporting for Congress in North Carolina’s 4th District. Yes, Dr. Lawson is running as a Republican, but I find his principled stands to be highly appealing and more progressive than anything I’ve heard in a long time - from either side.

But that’s not the point. What I find frustrating is that people, intelligent people, who I believe to be progressive and open-minded, are neither. They simply assume that because of a label, “Republican,” Dr. Lawson could never represent their values or beliefs (in racial jargon – “be like them”). This political bigotry is more hardened than anything I have ever experienced on the receiving end of ugliness because those who dull out this bigotry are usually the ones protesting other forms of bigotry.

What’s most disturbing is, like separatists, Democrats and Republicans are working overtime to distort our thinking with one-sided rhetoric. For example, the Democrats have essentially co-opted our evaluation process by planning partisan forums rather than real debates between opposing candidates. Then, the Republicans make sure to play up all of those things that divide, which are hardly substantive. Of course that’s their job, but I’m just surprised people are buying it – especially these days when it seems like all our elected officials are culpable for the mess that we call our government.

I know Dr. Lawson stands on the right side of history, and I will continue to carry his message to as many Democrats and others who are willing to listen. If you open your heart and mind, you may realize that Dr. Lawson is someone with a passion for social justice, community empowerment and positive change.

No comments:

700 Billion Dollar Ripoff!